wtorek, 6 listopada 2012

All Saints' Day vs. Haloween

Many of my facebook-friends added a lot of new photos recently, which show them wearing dreadful costumes. Yes, it's famous Halloween. We all know this tradition from American movies ;) Well, as for me, I find it quite silly. People want to be "as cool" as Americans so they pretend to be a vampire or a werewolf or Joker from Dark Knight. It's not just a problem of costumes - there's something much more deeper.. I'm trying to understand why do people want to scare each other. It's like.. well.. It seems to be against nature. Ages ago people were struggling to deal with fear and know we are creating monsters just to 'feel the thrill', isn't it weird? Maybe I'm odd, but I have never even watched a horror movie, because I really don't like this feeling - being scared.  

Well, as for the tradition - it is great, but unfortunately it's not ours. We used to celebrate All Saint's Day on 1st November. Well yes, it's quite a sad day - we don't party, we don't drink - we are reminding of our relatives who have died. It's a vital element of Polish culture. Why should we abandon it?  

4 komentarze:

  1. Fear gives some adrenaline, people once had that feeling and maybe now they miss it? Moreover people always were fascinated about supernatural. Maybe it has something to do with catharsis as well... I don't know. For me it is possible to connect Polish tradition with Halloween. Propably it could help to avoid considering death as a taboo.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I agree with Karina. For me it isn't posssible to connect Polish tradition with Halloween. It would be more accurate to say that personally, I think we are just copying American Halloween Traditions without understanding.
    I am convinced that most people who celebrated Halloween in Poland this year has no idea of its etymology.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. As we know, not only Poland copys the American's habits, but a lot of other countries. Moreover, they are copying each other also in these spheres like TV programms or conquests:)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. But it isn't American tradition. It's more British than American, I think... And what about people that know this etymology and still want to celebrate it? Me for example? Why not to copy something that eventually is more interesting than Big Brother and Jersey Shore?

    OdpowiedzUsuń